Friday, June 10, 2011

When The Day Is Long And The Night, The Night Is Yours Alone

It is starting to become glaringly apparent that there are certain things I simply cannot do. Actually I should rephrase that since I can theoretically do everything, there are certain things I simply cannot do well. This list includes but is not limited to sitting still for more than two minutes, keeping a normal sleep schedule, intimidating others (I still don't get why people laugh when I get genuinely furious seeing as how I am 6'2 and manage to yell even when I'm calm), complex math, and the latest addition to this list is play baseball. There are a few reasons for my general lack of skill in baseball starting with the fact that not only do I have no experience playing the sport I am also horribly out of shape. I may have never been the epitome of physical fitness but there was a time when I was halfway decent at most sports. Currently I can more or less hit the ball. There is a 30% chance that if a ball comes in my direction I could catch and there is 10% that any ball I throw will land within 5 feet of it's intended target. I would say I throw like a girl but that would be incredibly insulting to females everywhere especially the ones on our team who throw the ball quite well. That being said I am considerably better than I was in the pre-season game but I still have a ways to go if I want to say I am even "decent" at baseball. Also for some reason it took 4 days to write the first segment of this oh the joys of ADHD

Ok time for Post 10: A song you can fall asleep to. I'm going to skip the intro and just lay it on you today

I'm not a huge fan of the video since it makes the song depressing instead of soothing

So I went with R.E.M.'s Everbody Hurts for a couple of reasons. It's not overly loud and it's not so quite that you have to strain to here it , it's not upbeat but it's also not so slow you think your at a funeral, plus it's long enough that you can fall asleep before the next song starts and forces you start the process all over again. Everybody Hurts is a different kind of song compared to most of R.E.M.'s other work and the only other place in their catalog where you will find similar songs is on the 1992 album from which this post's song came Automatic For The People. It's also worth noting that the string arrangement on Everybody Hurts was composed by none other than Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones who was the Led Zep's "Quite One" mainly because he did his job well without fanfare and didn't subscribe to the theatrics of Jimmy Page, John Bohnam, and Robert Plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment