Monday, June 20, 2011

Why Don't We Just Give Up And Go Away?

Time is confusing. When I say that I don't mean the concept of time and the linear aspects of it I mean how time is perceived and how it relates to everything. As of yesterday I have officially been out of High school for two years now but it still feels like I was walking the halls and sitting in class a few days ago. On the other hand in two days I will have been living in Yorkton for a year and it feels like I have been here an eternity. I think Einstein explained why this is however I never learned this in my formal education so I can neither confirm nor deny this.

So in the two years I have been out of the public education what has changed about me? There are some obvious things such as the fact I'm at least 20 pounds heavier, my hair is shorter, and I now receive paychecks instead of report cards. Those in themselves are not big changes since at least one of those changes has happened to every graduate in the history of education. There are also some other changes that aren't as easy to see but are definitely more important. I can now admit that I am wrong. The inability to admit that I was wrong or that I possibly had made a major mistake led to me nearly failing at least one class and alienating numerous people. Even though I am still socially inept I can at least talk to people without breaking into a cold sweat, and most importantly, even if you don't agree with what they say or if you think they are 100% wrong  listen to your boss and do what they say. Usually they turn out to be right and even if they aren't the only way you can show them that they are wrong is to do things their way and let the chips fall where they will. It's not earth shattering stuff but it's stuff I never learned in school.  

There is a second reason I'm focusing on graduation today. On Thursday my younger sister will graduate and she will officially be better than me. This isn't an opinion it's a fact. Just focusing solely on education I graduated just outside The Honor Role thanks to Math B30 and after grad I went and received my diploma in broadcasting after a 5 month stint at a broadcasting college in Saskatoon. In a few days my sister will stand behind a podium and deliver the valedictorians speech and then go to U of A for a few years to get a degree in pharmacy and most likely make more money than me for the rest of my life. Despite the fact that I will play second fiddle from this point on I wish her nothing but success seeing as how the more successful she is the better the house I will be visiting when I take my vacations in future years.

No comments:

Post a Comment