Saturday, January 19, 2013

Thinking About What A Friend Had Said, I Was Hoping It Was a Lie

       I finally managed to whittle the list down to one so it's Post 19: A Song From Your Favourite Album. Before I get to the song honourable mentions go out to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon, The Tragically Hip's Phantom Power, Matt Mays and El Torpedo's Terminal Romance, Rage Against The Machine's Renegades, and Neil Young's Harvest. So without further ado the title track from my favourite album



Great Album Creepy Cover


Neil Young's After the Goldrush is sentimental without being sappy, it's the rare album that works for every mood, it's calming, but still uplifting. The albums lead track "Tell Me Why" is a perfect introduction for what's to come while "Cripple Creek Ferry" manages to wrap everything up in a neat little package. The best known song would probably be Southern Man which is probably the song that seems the most out of place, It's the longest song on the album, it's also the one with the most anger. Unlike most Neil Young albums there are no long jams and Southern Man is the only song that has any of the "Disjointed" sound that would dominate the majority of the rest of his output. It almost feels more like a country album than anything else, A Cover of Don Williams Oh Lonesome me really drives this feeling home. The only real downer on the album would be Birds but even then it's not unwelcome. This is an album that when played on a car trip will make any time this album is playing fly by twice as fast. Really the only place this album wouldn't work would be at a wild party, other than that it can be played anywhere and fit in perfectly. If you have never heard this album from start to finish I highly suggest you go purchase it and listen to it in it's entirety right now
it's only 35 minutes long so I will wait.


I have decided upon a new goal for my life. To be the best at one thing. Let me clarify, one of my greatest frustrations is that in everything I do I am at best average, at worst awful. This encompasses everything in my life. There are a select few things I would say I am good at such as cooking, however I know numerous people who put me to shame in that regard. I don't need to be the best in the entire world I just want to be the best out of everyone I know. I don't need to nor do I want to be the best at everything, for that would make me even more insufferable. Of course for this to realistically happen I will need to select at least 1 if not more things to work on perfecting, and for some reason I believe that may be the most difficult part of this whole task. Things such as best Son/Brother/Boyfriend/Husband/Father etc. do not count since there is no clear way to figure out who is best and to compare skills. If you have any suggestions for what I should perfect feel free to tell me in the comments. Whatever it is I decide, I have a feeling I may have to wait awhile to be the best at anything besides being perfectly average.

No comments:

Post a Comment