Monday, March 21, 2011

Oh My Heart Is Sinking, Same Old Useless Worn Out Thinking

My veins suck. That is probably the strangest way to start a post but it all makes sense. The last time I donated blood was may of 2009. I tried a few other times but there were always scheduling issues or I would plain old forget. Today though I remembered my appointment and I was there on time. My iron level was O.K. and my temperature and blood pressure were just fine. Unfortunately I forgot to drink water. For most people this would be a minor issue and the only drawback would be that it would take a few extra minutes. However as most people know be it a good thing or a bad thing I am not most people. Because I didn't drink any water my horrible deep veins were just shy this side of impossible for the poor nurses to find and when they finally found one on my right side it decided to spit a little bit of blood out. Just enough to fill the line but not enough to touch the bag and it also hurt more than usual so I now have a lovely little bruise on my right arm. At this point I had two options. Option A give up and go away or B. accomplish what I set out to do and fill a bag full of my precious red fluids. I chose B and I moved my butt over to a new chair and and got my left arm all taped up and pumped up so that it turned purple and fell asleep. The nurse stuck the needle in this time and out came... Nothing. For my efforts I got two little holes in my arm two juice boxes and a few timbits. However I learned a valuable lesson. Drink a gratuitous amount of water and maybe I will be able to get rid of my blood.

So with that out of the way I will move on to something I debated talking about last week but decided not to because I didn't feel overly open and sharing. Today I have changed my mind mainly because the idea has managed to last a week and remain relevant. I continually compare myself to other people. I do this so that I can gauge how  successful or normal I am in different areas. For relationships I compare myself to two people. One is my best female friend and the other is my one friend who still lives in P.A. Traditionally I have been on the same level as one or both of them or slightly ahead. However that is no longer the case and I am not sure how I feel about this. I am happy for both of them but I do not like being last relationship wise and to make things even more fun I can't even switch who my barometer is since all of my close friends are all in more or less successful relationships. In fact the only single people I know are people I only talk to once every few months tops. It's especially frustrating since at the moment I don't even have any options or even pipe dreams. Basically all I can do is wait for one of my friends to become single but I don't want that since they are my friends and wanting them to be single would make me a unjustifiable horrible person. In the meantime I will just have to make some new friends and hope the will be people I can realistically compare myself to.

I will make a post about Lent on Wednesday. I am saying this now so that I am forced to do it and if I don't I hope somebody guilts me into doing it

No comments:

Post a Comment