Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I've Been Uptight and Made A Mess, But I'll Clean It Up Myself, I Guess

I have decided that I should share with you things that are keeping me up at night. Not in the sense that they scare me or are troubling but just run through my head aimlessly. Most of the time it is music sometimes it may be books or things like that so today I have two videos from two different artists. Both of them respective legends.

First it is one of The Tragically Hips Earliest singles Last American Exit


And a more recent single from Tom Petty off his 2006 Album Highway Companion

Sorry I couldn't find the original music video but it is the album version of  the song and not a live performance or cover


I find both of these singles extremely fascinating for different reasons. For Last American Exit it is interesting to listen to the Hip's earliest work and see how much it has changed in the twenty years they have recorded music. Last American Exit is off The Tragically Hip EP which was made when The Hip intended to be a blues group however by their third album "Road Albums" all trace of the blues is gone and they have become a straight up Rock group.

By comparison Saving Grace sounds like it could have been off of the classic album he made with the Heartbreakers Damn The Torpedo's. One of Petty's greatest strengths is that he never strays to for out into left field but also never sounds exactly the same. The fact that Petty was in The Traveling Wilburys with Beatle great George Harrison, ELO front man Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison, and Bob Dylan only adds to his greatness.

Even if your not up late at night like myself defiantly check the videos out and don't blame me when you inevitably end up buying at least one of the songs on iTunes if not the entire albums they came off of.

No comments:

Post a Comment