Wednesday, March 23, 2011

You're A Top Ten Kingpin In The Borders Of Your Hometown

Well look at this I have actually managed to do something I said I would do in my blog. Before I get into how much fun I am having with lent I will bore a potion of you to death. March is a wonderful month, spring starts, my birthday is in march, and the federal and provincial budgets happen in march. I am not entertained by the budgets as much as all the hullabaloo that surrounds them. The provincial budget had a surprising amount of fanfare in comparison to other years. I believe this may have something to do with the fact that is an election year. I haven't really looked at it but so far nothing jumps out as evil unless you happen to be an opposition MLA in that case you are paid to think today's budget will destroy the province and give cause the sun to explode, likewise all government MLA's are paid to tell you this is the best budget in the history of finance and that it contains the cure for all the worlds diseases. So just like all things that politicians take it with a heavy grain of salt. Of course Federally things aren't quite as hunky dory thanks to the joys of a minority government that could implode upon itself if someone has baked beans for lunch. As if by clockwork all the pundits and people "in the know" are saying that an election is imminent. These are the same people who say an election is imminent at least 3 times a year. I'm beginning to think it is part of  their contract to whip people into an election frenzy whenever the word budget, coalition or government is uttered. True all the parties have said that they will not support the budget however it wouldn't be the first time nobody claimed to support the budget even if drastic changes are made and then suddenly wholeheartedly support the budget after a few minor changes. Unlike many of my peers I will not get on the election bandwagon unless I am trying to knock the wheels off until a date is set in stone.

Now onto the reason I am blogging instead of being productive. If you are remotely religious or used to have an inkling of religion or know of religion you know about Easter and possibly lent. For those not in the know lent is the 40 days before Easter Sunday in which you give up something you enjoy. Despite the fact that I am not overly religious anymore I still enjoy and partake in lent annually mainly because I enjoy challenging myself from time to time. In the past I have given up such things as coffee, video games, and last year the hardest challenge to date lying. This year I decided to give up something I have numerous times a day but others never even think of touching. This year I am giving up meat. That includes chicken as well as beef and pork however I am still eating seafood. As well because I am giving up meat specifically I still enjoy eggs and milk on a regular basis which makes it easy. So far the most difficult thing is forgetting to plan ahead and having to eat out. There are non meat options but ,any of them are just rip offs. Such as a veggie sub from subway or mr.sub. I refuse to pay for something it is only "complimentary veggies" and priced the same as a real sub. So far the best options are McDonalds fillet of fish or Booster Juice as well as anything you can find in Superstore or Sobeys. After 3 weeks the only thing I miss is bacon however by Easter Sunday I will probably be willing to do horrible horrible things for meat. Also I learned watching epic meal time videos is a very bad idea when you can't eat meat so for those of you who are meatetarians enjoy this because I can't

I'm not sure how appetizing this would be if I wasn't going through meat withdrawal

1 comment:

  1. Dave! Cutting back on meat is so important and such a good idea for Lent! From an environmental standpoint, what you're doing for the planet is huge!... and if you want to read the essay I just wrote on the environmental issues arising from the "meatification" of diets, feel free.

    ReplyDelete