Monday, February 14, 2011

There Goes Another Love Song, Someones Singing About Me Again

I haven't made a post in four days so this one is going to be double stuffed like an Oreo. In case you haven't seen the bazillion status's on Facebook and Twitter or the T.V. ad's and themed episodes it is Valentines Day. I don't have a problem with Valentines per se as much as I have a problem with how people act on and around Valentines Day. There are three different people when it comes to today and I have a problem with two of them and I am not sure which one is worse.

The first person lives for Valentines day. They have spent today eating heart shaped chocolate and showing everyone the flowers/stuffed animals/overpriced Valentines themed Junk the poor soul who they are dating has gotten them. They have to know what everyone they know is doing to celebrate the most important day of the year when it comes to love. If you say you have no plans you are dead to them and if you do tell them what you and your significant other are doing they will scoff and say if they really loved you or if you really loved them you/they would be doing what I'm doing tonight. If you are single they will ask who your date/valentine is. If you have one be prepared to explain that this person is not your significant other and that's why you didn't get them something with a diamond the size of a turnip. If god forbid you don't have anyone or any plans for today be prepared to spend the next 10-15 feeling guilty and feeling like crawling into a hole and dying because you either prefer not to spend an evening with a person you don't know or like or just simply don't have anyone.

The second person hates Valentines day and all the people who like it. They have spent today ranting and raving about how today is a representation of all that is wrong with society. If you have any plans for tonight you are dead to them. If you try to tell them that you are just making supper for someone because you care about them or have nothing better to do they will tell you about how your just some schmuck who doesn't even know what love is and so on and so forth. If this person does do anything for anyone today they claim to do it "Ironically" or they claim they were forced to by society's social norms The problem I have with these people is that they go out of their way to tell you how much they hate today even if you don't ask. I will admit I used to a part of this group but I have moved away from them and hopefully have more in common with the third group.

The third person is someone who recognizes that there are good and bad things about today. They may celebrate it in some way or the may not. The Man Child is in this group. He and his girlfriend had supper (which I made since it is a Monday and I didn't travel back to P.A.) here they didn't exchange gifts or make a big deal out of anything it was nice and I had no problem with them being here or cooking for them. This year I said I would un-friend anyone who made a big deal out of Valentines day since I don't really care about it. This year it was directed at group one and I think that next year I will be direct at both groups. And yes I realize that this put's me into group two a little bit but I like to think that because it is directed at the people and not the day it is sort of O.K.

If you want a good description of group two check out this Oatmeal comic http://theoatmeal.com/blog/valentines_day. Just like everything Mr. Oats does it is hilarious check it out. Also if you think everything I just wrote is total B.S. let me know so I don't end up actually saying this too someone. I hope today was filled the third type of person and cheap candy

2 comments:

  1. I am totally the third group of people. I disagree that you unfriended some of your actual "friends" eg: Carly, but I kind of liked the idea behind it. I got very sick of reading either mushy posts all day, or hate-ridden posts all day. Seriously. Just sit on the fence like the rest of the world. Don't make facebook status updates that nauseate your "friends". When in doubt, eat ice cream cake. :)
    <3 Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am adding at least 3 of 10 people I un-friended mainly because they are actual friends. I did notice that the ratio to I hate Valentines to I love Valentines was at least 5-1 if not higher.

    ReplyDelete