Monday, February 28, 2011

Pleased To Meet You Say Your Prayers, There Is No Way Back From Here

So I wanted to throw something in before the resolution re-cap so I asked Twitter what I should write about. I got two responses one that was very specific and that I knew nothing about (the impact the "Little Ice Age" had on the people of London during the Industrial Revolution, with evidence from A Xmas Carol via Phil ) Thankfully someone else gave me numerous suggestions Oscars (Yesterdays News), winter driving( Already touched on it here), sports (Maybe some other day), my favorite band (Would be a very very long and ADHD filled post), and snow. Before I talk about snow I have something else to say.

I am not an optimist, I am also not a pessimist, I am a realist. This means that I don't sugarcoat things but I also don't ignore good things when they happen. I am however quite cynical and subscribe to the George Carlin Theory that it's all bullshit and it's bad for you. Many people do not like this and complain loudly when I point out the ridiculous things people say and do. Last night and an Oscar party I was called a "horrible person" and a "Cynical Jerk" (I only agree with the first part of that one) for scoffing at speeches that included more than a passing mention to people to people the speaker "loved" but didn't contribute to the film in the slightest and for showing my distaste when Natalie Portman said something about how her greatest accomplishment wasn't the Oscar but the fact she got herself knocked up. On the other hand I had no problem when one of the many males onstage who won something for the kings speech thanked his boyfriend. This is good for two reasons 1. He didn't make a big deal out of it and mentioned in passing and 2. I had never heard anyone thank a same sex partner during a speech so I found it kind of neat. I will have more on my Cynicism in the future as well a bit on self depreciating humor but that won't be for awhile 

I hate snow I hate the cold so I hate winter. Winter has no redeemable qualities. Seriously there is nothing that you can do in winter that doesn't a have a superior summer counterpart. Snowmobiling in the winter quading in the summer. Hockey in the winter road hockey and a ton of other sports that you can't play in the winter in the summer. Cross Country Ski-ing in the winter Jogging without wearing a parka in the summer. The list goes on almost indefinitely! I could probably handle winter if it wasn't for the snow but that's not how winter works. The only thing snow is good for is throwing and you get in trouble for doing that. There is only one good thing about winter and that is the fact that your freezer space increases 10 fold due to the fact you can place certain items outside for a few months and not worry about them freezing. On the other hand leaving any liquid in the car for a few hours causes an explosive mess.

Also I if you want to read other blogs that I also enjoy there is a collection of them that can be found at the bottom of the front page.

2 comments:

  1. Wasn't it hilarious when Melissa Leo dropped the f-bomb? I laughed pretty hard at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone I was with lost it when that happened. The Autotune Twilight was also hilarious!

    ReplyDelete